ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this organization is the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar Parent Teacher Association (PTA), Doha, Qatar.
ARTICLE II: Articles of Organization
The articles of organization of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA include the bylaws of such organization.
ARTICLE III: Purposes
The Purposes of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA are:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in the school and community.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental and social education.
The purposes of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA are promoted through an advocacy and educational program directed toward parents, teachers and the general public; developed through conferences, committees, projects and programs; and governed and qualified by the basic policies set forth in Article IV.
ARTICLE IV: Basic Policies
The following are basic policies of the DeBakey – Qatar PTA:
- The organization shall be noncommercial, nonsectarian and nonpartisan.
- The organization shall work with the schools and community to provide quality education for all children and youth and shall seek to participate in the decision-making process establishing school policy, recognizing that the legal responsibility to make decisions has been delegated by the people to boards of education, state education authorities and local education authorities.
- The organization shall work to promote the health and welfare of children and youth and shall seek to promote collaboration among parent, schools and the community at large.
- No part of the net earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, directors, trustees, officers or other private persons except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the Purposes set forth in Article III hereof.
- Upon the dissolution of this organization, after paying or adequately providing for the debts and obligations of the organization, the remaining assets shall be distributed to one (1) or more nonprofit funds, foundations or organizations.
ARTICLE V: Officers and Their Election
Each officer shall be a member of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA.
Officers and their election:
- The officers of this organization shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary,Treasurer, Parliamentarian, and Membership Chair.
- Officers shall be elected by ballot in September of each year. However, if there is but one (1) nominee for an office, election for that office shall be by voice vote.
- Officers shall assume their official duties following the election and shall serve a term of one (1) year.
- No officer shall serve in the same office for more than two (2) consecutive terms. One who has served more than one-half of a term shall be credited with having served that term.
- A vacancy occurring in any elected office shall be filled for the unexpired term by a person elected by a majority vote of the executive board, at least three (3) days notice of such election having been given.
- In the event a vacancy occurs in the office of president, the vice-president shall serve notice to the executive board of the election.
Reason to remove from office:
By two-thirds (2/3) vote of the executive board an officer or chairman shall be removed from office for failure to perform duties, criminal misconduct or unethical behavior in PTA business. An officer or chairman who misses three (3) consecutive meetings may be removed from office.
ARTICLE VI: Duties of Officers
The President shall:
- Coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the association in order that the purposes may be promoted.
- Confirm that a quorum is present before conducting any business at any meeting of the association.
- Preside at all meetings of the association.
- Appoint chairmen of special committees subject to approval of executive board.
- Be authorized to sign on bank accounts.
The Vice President shall:
- Be the aide-to-the-president [be in charge of communications and perform other duties as assigned by the president or association].
- Develop and enhance communication within the membership.
- Preside in the absence of the president.
The Secretary shall:
- Record the minutes of all meetings of the association.
- Keep an accurate record of attendance at executive board meetings.
- Be responsible for correspondence.
- Have a current copy of the bylaws.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the president or association.
The Treasurer shall:
- Have custody of all the funds of the association.
- Keep books of account and records including bank statements, receipts, budgets, invoices, paid receipts and canceled checks for five (5) years.
- Make disbursements in accordance with the budget adopted by the association.
- Sign on bank accounts.
- Present a financial report, both written and verbal, at the September meeting of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA and as requested by the executive board.
- Keep such permanent books of account and records as shall be sufficient to establish the items of gross income, receipts and disbursements of the organization.
The Parlimentarian shall:
- Have an understanding of parliamentary procedure.
- Assist in maintaining order and efficient decorum in meetings.
- Ensure meetings promote the mandated purposes of PTA.
- Not make motions, debate, or vote.
The Membership Chair shall:
- Aim to grow and strengthen the membership of PTA.
- Be responsible for facilitating creative ways to recruit parents and involve community leaders.
- Set membership dues and acquire membership benefits from local organizations.
- Assist the secretary in recording meeting attendance and have involvement in keeping members aware of meeting discussions.
Section 2 All officers shall:
- Attend all meetings of the association.
- Have a current copy of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA bylaws.
- Perform the duties outlined in these bylaws and those assigned from time to time.
- Deliver to their successors or the president all official materials within fifteen (15) days following the date at which their successors assume their duties.
ARTICLE VII: Committees
- International Week / Qatar National Day
- Book Fair & Science Fair
- School Beautification
- Teacher Appreciation
- Family Fun Day
- Additional committees may be added throughout the school year based on the school and PTA’s needs
- Each committee must have a lead chairperson to facilitate committee goals.
- PTA members may be involved in more than one committee, but may only be the lead chairperson for one committe.
- Committee participation is dependent on the specific event dates and deadlines. As such, some committees will remain active throughout the school year, and other committees will have shorter particpation necessities.
ARTICLE VIII: Meetings
This association shall hold a minimum of four (4) meetings a year.
- Regular meetings of the association shall be held bi-monthly October, December, February, April and June. The time and date will be established by executive board at its first meeting of the year. Five (5) days notice shall be given if change of date is needed.
- The first regular meeting of the year shall be the election meeting.
Special meetings of the Michael E. DeBakey High School – Qatar PTA may be called by the president or by a majority of the executive board, at least three (3) days notice having been given.
Five (5) members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business in any meeting of this association.
ARTICLE IX: Executive Board
The executive board shall consist of:
- The officers of the association.
- The principal of the school or duly appointed representative.
The duties of the executive board shall be to:
- Transact necessary business in the intervals between association meetings and such other business as may be referred to it by the association.
- Present a report at the regular meetings of the association.
- Fill vacancies of officers and chairmen.
- Regular meetings of the executive board shall be held prior to each regular association meeting, the time to be determined by the board at its first meeting of the year.
- A majority of the executive board members shall constitute a quorum.
- Special meetings of the executive board may be called by the president or by a majority of the members of the board, at least three (3) days notice being given.
ARTICLE X: Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of this association shall begin September 6 and end on the following August 31.
ARTICLE XI: Amendments
- These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the association, provided a quorum is present, by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present and voting. Notice of the proposed amendment shall have been given at the previous regular meeting or thirty (30) days prior to the meeting at which the amendment is voted on.