Did you know that when kids read over the summer they are more likely to leap ahead when they return to school? This is often called the “summer leap,” and we’ve made it a priority to keep your child’s skills sharp by encouraging them to read all summer long. Many children don’t read enough over the summer because it can be hard for them to find books at their reading level that really interest them. But when they read books they love, at the right level, they could actually go back to school at a higher lexile level than at the end of the school year. This year our English team and library has organized an online reading initiative that invites children to read books based on their lexile score. Your child will receive an individualized reading recommendation book list, QNL Link and Book quiz along with their MAP Reading score measured by lexile level.
Your child will need to follow the steps below:
- Access the summer reading list recommendation sent to your email.
- Click on the QNL Link to access the book.
- You will be directed to the eBook. Click on ‘Borrow’ to access the book.
- Once you click on ‘borrow’ you will have two options to read:
- In your browser You will able to read the book for 7 days.
- Download and read
- If you choose to download the book, you will need to install Adobe Digital Editions (for free) on your device this includes desktop, iPad/ iPhone, Android apps. https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html
- Once the book is downloaded, double click on the downloaded book and it will automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions platform. The books can stay up to 7 days in your Adobe book digital library. You will need to re-borrow the book if you have not finished reading it within 7 days. At a given time you can borrow up to five books. However, it is advisable to finish one book and download another.
Note: In order to access QNL you may choose to use any of your family member’s QNL account that has already been created. The membership card (black card) you have received from QNL represents the person who has registered with their Qatar ID. Therefore, you will sign in using that specific Qatar ID and the default pin code as 1234.
Read this Qatar Tribune Article:
Qatar National Library Summer Guide
It doesn’t really matter what you read or where you read – just be sure to read every day!
Have a wonderful summer! If your child has any difficulty accessing the book, please contact the librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org Back to Announcements